|Song by Linkin Park from the album One More Light|
|Working title||Invisible - MS w Justin Parker|
|Released||May 10, 2017|
|Live debut||February 27, 2017|
|Last played||July 6, 2017|
|Writer||Mike Shinoda, Justin Parker|
|Producer||Mike Shinoda, Brad Delson, Jesse Shatkin, Andrew Dawson, RAC, Emily Wright|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
"Invisible" is the fifth track on One More Light. It was written in collaboration with Justin Parker. The song is predominantly sung by Mike Shinoda with Chester Bennington on backing vocals doing the higher harmonies. "Invisible" was premiered on May 10, 2017 at 9am PST Zane Lowe's World Record show on Beats 1 and became available to people who pre-ordered One More Light. The song was set to be released as the second single from the album in the US but was canceled in favor of "Talking To Myself".
A September 7, 2015 article published by NME revealed Mike Shinoda had writing sessions planned in London for a collaboration with an unknown artist. He later told Ticketmaster, "I did a couple of stopovers in London on the way back from the Hunting Party tour and worked with two different songwriters and really enjoyed it. I thought it was super fun and saw merit in keeping that going. I took the songs back to the band and asked them what they think. They loved the material, first and foremost." One of those tracks was "Invisible", a song that deals with Mike wanting to concentrate on being a father.
A live feed from the studio was done on February 24 through Facebook, showing the band working with Justin Parker, an English songwriter and record producer who has worked with big names like Ellie Goulding, Lana Del Rey, Skrillex, Rihanna, Seal, and Icona Pop. An update from the studio sent to the band's mailing list subscribers on March 22 was also accompanied by pictures of the band working with him. On April 7, 2016, Ethan Mates posted a picture (which was immediately removed) of his computer on Facebook showing a folder called "LP Album 7 Main". Inside the folder, there was a file named "Invisible - MS w Justin Parker". A live feed held on Linkin Park's Facebook page on November 14 confirmed Justin Parker as one of the artists Mike worked with in London. He said Parker taught him a different approach to songwriting: to write without any sound in mind and, instead, write with meaning in mind. Parker helped him with the lyrics but said the music was up to the artist to create and refused to touch it. Mike left the studio with a phone recording of himself singing and playing piano. In a December 2016 issue of the Kerrang! magazine, Mike Shinoda announced Linkin Park had collaborated with American producer Andrew Dawson, who did additional production on the song.
Throughout the process, both Mike and Chester recorded vocals for the song, but since "Invisible" is Mike's story, he decided he should be the one singing on the final version. The song was written about Mike's kids and the thought that when they get older and become teenagers, it will be harder to discipline them. According to him, "Invisible" sends the listener to that moment when, in a parental or mentoring situation, you have to tell your kids something they don't wanna hear and you want them to know you're doing it because you care, not because you wanna hurt their feelings.
"Invisible" was built largely around Mike's initial sounds, but the bridge was mostly done by RAC and Jesse Shatkin.
The official lyric video for "Invisible" was released on May 10, 2017 following the song's premiere on Beats 1. It was directed by Jose Lun, an Spanish art director and motion graphics artist for the production company Dreambear.
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Invisible||One More Light||3:34||2016||May 10, 2017|
|Invisible||Invisible (Radio Promo)
One More Light Instrumentals
|Invisible||One More Light Live||4:30||June 20, 2017||December 15, 2017||
"Invisible" got its live debut at the band's performance for The Late Late Show with James Corden after the band had played "Heavy" for the broadcast later that night. The song was played three times, with the first two attempts getting aborted due to lighting issues and a mess up with Mike's vocals.
The song didn't get its public live debut until the second show of the One More Light World Tour in Santiago, only being included in the full version of the setlist for the South American tour. The track was also given an extended intro with the bridge synth and vocal samples from the chorus being played before the song. Starting on the European Tour, the song was included in both the festival and full setlists, with the "Battle Symphony"/"Nobody Can Save Me" slot being dropped instead. During the band's performance at Hellfest, Mike accidentally rapped the chorus of "Remember The Name" after "Invisible", likely because he forgot the festival set cuts "Waiting For The End", the song that "Remember The Name" serves as an intro for.
The first known time "Invisible" was performed at all on Mike's solo tour was in Dallas where Mike and the band rehearsed the song. It wouldn't get a proper debut until Denver where it replaced "Sorry For Now". Dan performed a drum solo during the extended bridge.
Last Updated: November 1, 2017
|Type||Description||First Played||Last Played|
|Intro||Bridge Synth w/ Chorus Vocal Samples||May 9, 2017||July 6, 2017|
|Outro||Remember The Name Chorus||June 18, 2017||June 18, 2017|
Last Updated: April 28, 2020
|Type||Description||First Played||Last Played|
|Bridge||Drum Solo||November 9, 2018||September 6, 2019|
- Chester Bennington - Vocals
- Rob Bourdon - Drums
- Brad Delson - Guitar
- Joe Hahn - Programming
- Phoenix - Bass
- Mike Shinoda - Keyboards, Programming, Vocals
- Additional keyboards and programming by Jesse Shatkin
- Written by Mike Shinoda and Justin Parker
- Produced by Mike Shinoda and Brad Delson
- Co-produced by Jesse Shatkin
- Additional production by Andrew Dawson and RAC
- Vocal production by Emily Wright
- Music performed by Linkin Park
- Vocals by Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda
- Chester's vocals recorded at The Pool Recording Studio, London, UK
- Mike's vocals recorded at The Warehouse Studio, Vancouver, CA
- Music recorded at Larrabee Studios, North Hollywood, CA and Sphere Studios, North Hollywood, CA
- Engineered by Ethan Mates, Mike Shinoda and Josh Newell
- Assistant engineer: Alejandro Baima
- Studio B assistant engineer: Warren Willis
- Studio drum tech: Jerry Johnson
- Mixed by Serban Ghenea at Mixstar Studios, Virginia Beach, VA
- Engineered for mix by John Hanes
I've got an aching head
- Invisible (The Late Late Show With James Corden): The Late Late Show With James Corden
- Linkin Park - Timeline, February 21, 2017
- Corey Messineo on Instagram: "Finally after 15 months, the boys are all together on stage! Awesome time tonight!!", February 28, 2017
- Linkin Park - Publications, May 09, 2017
- On The Road In Berlin With Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda: 'We Never Held The Flag For Nu-Metal' | NME.COM, September 07, 2015
- Interview: Linkin Park - "The Hero’s Journey" - tmBlog, March 30, 2017
- Kerrang! Magazine Interview with Linkin Park | LP Association Forums, February 28, 2017
- Smash Press: Linkin Park interview 2017 - YouTube, April 03, 2017
- Linkin Park | Facebook, February 24, 2016
- , March 22, 2016
- Facebook, April 7, 2016
- Linkin Park - Timeline, November 14, 2016
- Linkin Park Live! | iHeartRadio Theater Los Angeles - YouTube, May 23, 2017
- Mike Shinoda fala um pouco mais sobre o novo álbum a Revista Kerrang. | Road To Revolution Brasil, December 29, 2016
- Linkin Park im Interview: War es das letzte Album? - YouTube, April 12, 2017
- Linkin Park - One More Light - Global Album Listening Party - YouTube, March 19, 2017
- JOSE LUN — Dreambear