Watching As I Fall
"Watching As I FAll" is the third and final song on Mike Shinoda's Post Traumatic EP as well as the third song on his debut studio album, Post Traumatic.
|"Watching As I Fall"|
|Song by Mike Shinoda from the album Post Traumatic|
|Released||January 25, 2018|
|References||The Jimmy Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze|
|Live debut||May 12, 2018|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
Mike explained the lyrics of "Watching As I Fall" to Genius.
About the line "excuse me while I kiss the sky", "I grew up on a wide range of music, from Method Man to Jimi Hendrix. This line quotes both at once, it was used in both "Purple Haze" by Jimi, and "How High" by Method Man and Redman. The surreal nature of what I was going through inspired me to quote the lyric."
About the end of the first verse, "Sometimes "inconsistent" isn’t a bad thing. Musically, I don't like staying in one lane or being predictable. But personally, while I take pride in being reliable, I also know that I'm an artist and have moments of unpredictability. And if I'm going through some difficult stuff, it only exaggerates that tendency.
About the chorus, "I knew I was in a dark place in the months following Chester's death. Eventually, a few wise friends told me, "there’s no changing what has happened. The only thing you can do is find a way to see what new paths this loss opens up." A devastating wildfire creates space for new growth. I never would have chosen this path, but it’s the only one I've got, so I've got no choice but to see where it leads."
About the line "nothing is forever, don't be mad at the design", "In loss, we often want someone or something to blame. But that effort is futile. I decided to look toward gratitude, question my shortcomings, and try to be a better person, for whatever amount of time I am allowed to have."
About the line "still upset from shit that's 15 years old", "Sometimes I hold a grudge. So shoot me :)"
The music videos on the Post Traumatic EP are described as "cinéma vérité", shot in a way that doesn't obscure the fact that they're real life. Mike says he wanted to shoot a video while feeling something. He explained, "Grief is so personal, and I thought that a D.I.Y., autobiographical format made the most sense. So I shot & edited everything in the videos myself. I‘m planning to continue doing it this way until it doesn’t feel right anymore, or until the work becomes too much."
All three of the EP videos were released by Mike on January 25th, 2018, the day the EP was released. The video for "Watching As I Fall" ends with a selfie video from December 12, 2017 of Mike talking about the California wildfires, the state of the world and trying to stay sane through it all. After the video came out, Mike explained he had misspoken a couple of things: it had been over 4 months since Chester Bennington passed away and was coming up on 5 (not 4), and his friend's family didn't have to go out of state because of the fire (but they did have to change locations a lot of times).
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Watching As I Fall||Post Traumatic EP||3:31||2017||January 25, 2018|
|Watching As I Fall||Post Traumatic EP (Clean)
Post Traumatic (Clean)
|3:31||2017||January 25, 2018||
|Watching As I Fall (Instrumental) (80 BPM)||Post Traumatic EP - Acapellas & Instrumentals
Post Traumatic - Instrumentals
|3:31||2017||February 15, 2018||
|Watching As I Fall (Acapella)||Post Traumatic EP - Acapellas & Instrumentals||3:18||2017||February 15, 2018||
"Watching As I Fall" was debuted live at Mike's performance at Identity LA, being played after "Place To Start". Mike plays guitar on the song, one of the only songs in the set he plays an instrument on. Though the song started as a staple in the set, it became rarer starting with the 2018 European leg of the Post Traumatic tour. At the Anaheim stop of the Monster Energy Outbreak Tour, guitarist Annie Grunwald joined Mike and the band for "Watching As I Fall", performing a guitar solo during the bridge.
Last Updated: January 12, 2020
|Type||Description||First Played||Last Played|
|Bridge||Extended w/ guitar solo||November 5, 2018||November 5, 2018|
Last Updated: January 12, 2020
- Annie Grunwald
- Written and produced by Mike Shinoda
- Vocals by Mike Shinoda
- Mixed by Manny Marroquin
- Mastered by Michelle Mancini
Excuse me while I kiss the sky
- Watching As I Fall (Official Video): YouTube
- ↑ Mike Shinoda – Watching As I Fall Lyrics | Genius Lyrics, March 21, 2018
- ↑ Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "My friend said the videos are “cinema verite.” Shot in a way that doesn’t obscure the fact that they’re real life. The music is that way too. The car horn was audible on the mic when I was trying to record, which was super annoying. #PostTraumatic… https://t.co/fTsDurQOqk" ., January 25, 2018
- ↑ Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "(1/2) On this project, I’m trying to work “in the moment.” I record a vocal or shoot a video while I’m feeling something. For example, I wrote and recorded verse one of “over again” on the day of the Bowl show, and did verse two the day after. #PostTraumatic" ., January 25, 2018
- ↑ Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "Grief is so personal, and I thought that a D.I.Y., autobiographical format made the most sense. So I shot & edited everything in the videos myself. I‘m planning to continue doing it this way until it doesn’t feel right anymore, or until the work becomes too much. #PostTraumatic… https://t.co/6o8xU8KTZL" ., January 25, 2018
- ↑ Linkin Park’s Mike Shinoda Shares Three New Solo Songs « The World Famous KROQ, January 25, 2018
- ↑ Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "fact edit (1/2) At the end of the “Watching As I Fall” I said it was coming up on 4 months since CB had passed. I misspoke; it had been 4+ months and was coming up on 5. 😁 https://t.co/X8FdeVzopL" ., January 29, 2018
- ↑ Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "fact edit (2/2) a minor correction (that only really matters to me and a couple people), my friend’s family didn’t have to go out of state. But they DID have to change locations a lot of times because of the fire! 😬🔥" ., January 29, 2018