|Single by Linkin Park|
|from the album The Hunting Party|
|Working title||Artillery / The Wastelands / Wastelands Of Today|
|Released||June 1, 2014|
|References||John Lennon - Power To The People|
|Live debut||May 24, 2014|
|Last played||July 6, 2017|
|Producer(s)||Brad Delson, Mike Shinoda, Rob Cavallo|
|Label||Warner Bros., Machine Shop|
|Linkin Park singles chronology|
- 1 Background
- 2 Remix
- 3 Release
- 4 Tracklist
- 5 Music Video
- 6 Versions
- 7 Live
- 8 Personnel
- 9 Lyrics
- 10 Gallery
- 11 In Other Media
- 12 External Links
- 13 References
The first verse of "Wastelands" was written before any of the music for the track was written, but the second verse got rewritten at the end of the recording sessions. The song follows a fairly straight forward structure, until the end of the song, when the band completely changes the chord progression of the chorus, an unusual characteristic for Linkin Park.
The intro loop was created by Mike Shinoda by sampling a live drum track and adding effects to it. That loop became the driver of the song, with Rob Bourdon playing what the loop is playing. While most of the song is a combination of the loop and live drums, the chorus is entirely live drums.
On The Hunting Party, the band made a decision of not working with any outside producer and instead produce the album by themselves. The decision was supported by A&R executive Rob Cavallo, who ended up working on the song, as explained by Chester, "As co-producers, this time we were able to get Rob Cavallo for the song "Wastelands Of Today" and we were completely surprised when he heard us and did not give much advice, but just said we should do our thing that way. That was nice. We just thought, if we want a producer for this or that song, then we get it - not necessarily for every song."
On December 24, 2014, several members from the Linkin Park Association community teamed up to release a remix album of The Hunting Party titled Viscera. The album was later released to the LP Underground on June 18, 2015 after the band received the full rights to distribute the album. The remix of "Wastelands" was done by Cypher, and samples "Step Up". The instrumental version of the remix was released February 28, 2015.
The song was given away to fans in the form of a burned CD thrown by Mike Shinoda during Linkin Park's performance at the Rock In Rio festival in Lisbon, Portugal on May 30, 2014. When it came time to transition from "Runaway" into "Wastelands", Mike said, "Ladies and gentlemen right about now, I'm going to skip this part real quick because I want to tell you guys something. In my pocket I have CDs of our brand new song that is not out yet. This is not out on the Internet, you can't buy it, it's sitting right here in my hands. It's for you! It's called "Wastelands"!"
On May 30, 2019, Linkin Park tweeted a video saying, "On this day in 2014, @mikeshinoda leaked @linkinpark's new song Wasteland by handing out CDs with the track to the fans at Rock in Rio Lisboa #TBT". In the video shot before the show, Mike says to the camera, "We have a new song called "Wastelands" and it's not out yet, but these are some CDs with the song on it. We're going to hand these to the crowd and just let them have it and they can give it to the world." Adam Ruehmer commented that it was his idea to have Mike give the CDs out at the show and said, "Man, I remember staying up and scrolling through twitter in a panic because it hadn't leaked yet. Then the dude who leaked it said he was going to and we were all just like waiting for him to get home from the show to upload it. haha."
Two days later, on June 1, 2019, Linkin Park had SiriusXM release the official music video for "Wastelands" on YouTube.
A lyric video for "Wastelands" was created by Black Balloon, a Los Angeles-based creative studio specialized in motion graphics and post production. It was released on June 1, 2014 and features a shortened version of the track without the interlude at the end.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) partnered with Linkin Park in the campaign for the UFC 174: Johnson vs Bagautinov live pay-per-view event which took place on June 14, 2014 at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, Canada. A teaser featuring "Wastelands" over footage of the fighters was released on May 28 and a full-length music video for the song was released on June 25 featuring clips of fights in The Octagon over a live performance at Rock In Rio Lisboa.
Linkin Park partnered with Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) for the Convoy to Combat Suicide, a national tour to raise awareness around the issue of veteran suicide and to issue a call to action to the American public to help lower the high suicide rate among the new generation of veterans. As part of the collaboration, a "Wastelands" music video was created by Black Balloon with photographs submitted by IAVA members across the country. The video was featured on IAVA.org and also shown during Linkin Park's live concerts.
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Wastelands||LP Recharge - Wastelands
|3:15||2013-2014||June 1, 2014||
|Wastelands||3:10||2013-2014||June 1, 2014||
|Wastelands (Instrumental)||The Hunting Party: Acapellas + Instrumentals||3:18||2013-2014||August 12, 2014||
|Wastelands (Acapella)||The Hunting Party: Acapellas + Instrumentals||3:15||2013-2014||August 12, 2014||
|Wastelands: Cypher||Viscera||2:24||2014||December 24, 2014||
|Wastelands: Cypher (Instrumental)||Viscera (Instrumentals)||2:24||2014||February 28, 2015||
"Wastelands" got its live debut at KFMA Day 2014, the first show of The Hunting Party touring cycle. Technically, the song has only been performed in full three times, once at KROQ Red Bull Sound Space and twice at iHeart Radio Theater. Every other performance of the song has come straight from the extended transition outro of "Runaway", where Mike raps the first verse of "Wastelands" over an altered version of the "Runaway" bridge instrumental", or with a hard start, as seen at Download 2014.
At the show in Tampa 2014, Mike accidentally rapped a demo verse of "Wastelands" over the transition outro of "Runaway." These lyrics are included below, directly from Mike.
At the first show of the One More Light touring cycle, "Wastelands" was played second in the set with the outro sample from "War" as an intro. The song was the sole survivor from The Hunting Party to make it to the next touring cycle.
Last Updated: July 18, 2018
|Type||Description||First Played||Last Played|
|Intro||Hard Start (No Album Version Intro)||May 24, 2014||November 14, 2015|
|Intro||"War" Outro Sample||May 6, 2017||July 6, 2017|
Last Updated: December 26, 2015
- Benjamin Chandler (replacing Brad Delson)
- Warren Willis (replacing Joe Hahn)
Linkin Park is
- Chester Bennington
- Rob Bourdon
- Brad Delson
- Joe Hahn
- Mike Shinoda
- Produced by Mike Shinoda and Brad Delson
- "Wastelands" co-produced by Rob Cavallo
- Lyrics & Vocals by Mike Shionda and Chester Bennington
- Background Vocals by Brad Delson, Joe Hahn, Rob Bourdon, and Phoenix
- Additional Lyrics by Brad Delson
- Engineering by Ethan Mates and Mike Shinoda
- Digital editing by Josh Newell
- Assistant Engineer: Alejandro Baima
- Additional Assistant Engineers: Brendan Dekora and Jennifer Langdon
- Studio Electro Tech: Warren Willis
- Studio Drum Tech: Jerry Johnson
- Album Production Coordination: Ryan DeMarti
- Recorded at Larrabee Sound Studios, North Hollywood, CA
- Additional Recording at EastWest Studios and Glenwood Place Studios
- Mixed by Andy Wallace
- Pro Tools Engineered by Paul Suarez
- Assisted by Del Bowers
- Mastered by Emily Lazar at The Lodge
- Assisted by Rich Morales
Uh, this is war with no weapons
And yeah I'm not afraid of that
In Other Media
- "Wastelands" is featured in Linkin Park's 2014 videogame LP Recharge - Wastelands.
- "Wastelands" is featured in the 2015 videogame Guitar Hero Live.
- Wastelands [Official Lyric Video]: LPTV | LP FB
- Wastelands [Linkin Park x UFC]: LP FB | LPTV
- Wastelands [IAVA]: IAVAVids YouTube
- Linkin Park on Heavy New Album 'The Hunting Party' - Rolling Stone, April 10, 2014
- Twitter, June 2014
- Twitter, June 2014
- Twitter, June 2014
- Linkin Park's Rob Bourdon - Modern Drummer Magazine, September 2014
- Linkin Park: "Wollten nicht noch poppiger werden" > Musik | krone.at, May 28, 2014
- AUDIO Linkin Park - "Wastelands" Full Leak + Official Lyric Video | LP Association Forums, May 31, 2014
- YouTube: Linkin Park - "Wastelands" (Live Rock in Rio Lisboa 2014), May 30, 2014
- Linkin Park - "Wastelands" (FULL CD VERSION), May 30, 2014
- LP Association: "Audio - Linkin Park "Wastelands" Full Leak, May 30, 2014
- Twitter: Linkin Park - On this day in 2014, Mike Shinoda leaked Linkin Park's new song Wastelands, May 30, 2019
- Twitter: heydudeimadam - "Man I remember saying up and scrolling through twitter in a panic", May 30, 2019
- YouTube: Wastelands (Official Lyric Video) - Linkin Park, June 1, 2014
- WASTELANDS | mysite
- Black Balloon I About Us
- Wastelands (Official Lyric Video) - Linkin Park - YouTube, June 01, 2014
- "Wastelands" (Teaser) - UFC 174 | Linkin Park - YouTube, May 28, 2014
- Com lutador brasileiro, banda Linkin Park lança clipe para o UFC 174 | Blogs - ESPN, June 13, 2014
- LP VETS | mysite
- Linkin Park's "Wastelands" music video - YouTube, September 05, 2014