|Single by Linkin Park|
|from the album The Hunting Party|
|Released||June 3, 2014|
Stagelight (Linkin Park Bundle II)|
Rock Band 4 (Xbox One Pre-Order)
|Live debut||August 6, 2014|
|Last played||October 27, 2017|
|Writer(s)||Linkin Park, Daron Malakian|
|Producer(s)||Brad Delson, Mike Shinoda|
|Label||Warner Bros., Machine Shop|
|Linkin Park singles chronology|
"Rebellion" was created with the help of System of A Down's guitarist, Daron Malakian. The band brought in Malakian as a source of inspiration for the band to finish the album. Initially, he was simply meant to guest on one of the songs the band had already created, like "Guilty All The Same". This, however, did not work out. Instead, Mike Shinoda had Malakian bring in some stuff and they would see what they could do together. Malakian brought in the riffs that would make up "Rebellion", and the band put the track together in just two days after that. All that was left was to put together the lyrics, which Shinoda prided himself on for their sarcastic and satirical nature, which he thought would be difficult to get across.
Rob Bourdon described his drum work on the track:
"It’s a triplet feel primarily, and ghost notes on the snare drum. It’s 8th notes happening between my right and left hand. There are some sections with a syncopated ride pattern as well. Listening back, I’m not sure how that one fit in there. The hi-hat on “&” was Mike’s idea. It took some work to get the right feel, where I’m playing the downbeats on the hi-hat and ghosting the “&” on the snare and hitting the accents. When it changes to the syncopated hi-hat groove, it was hard to keep the triplet groove going. That section took some work.
I had to play it over and over until it grooved. For me to really be able to play something well that has the right feel, I have to almost be out of my head. It’s really a feel thing for me. So I put a lot of time in. It’s about playing the part over and over until it almost feels like I’m observing myself playing the part. Then I can actually adjust the feel of it. Because I’m not formally trained—I learned to read music but I didn’t pursue it—I was always so excited about playing by ear that now I do everything by ear. I don’t think that analytically about the parts. It’s more knowing if I like it and whether it sounds great."
Mike Shinoda has stated that he would love to put together a music video for "Rebellion". However, he felt that it was time to move on to the next album, and that it would simply cost too much money and take too much time.
On December 24, 2014, several members from the Linkin Park Association community teamed up to release a remix album of The Hunting Party titled Viscera. The album was later released to the LP Underground on June 18, 2015 after the band received the full rights to distribute the album. The remix of "Rebellion" was done by minuteforce, Simple Automaton, Shurpi, and Cypher. The instrumental version of the remix was released February 28, 2015.
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Rebellion (feat. Daron Malakian)||The Hunting Party
|3:44||2013-2014||June 13, 2014||
|Rebellion (Instrumental) (feat. Daron Malakian)||The Hunting Party: Acapellas + Instrumentals||3:45||2013-2014||August 12, 2014||
|Rebellion (Acapella)||The Hunting Party: Acapellas + Instrumentals||3:44||2013-2014||August 12, 2014||
|Rebellion: Various||Viscera||3:38||2014||December 24, 2014||
|Rebellion: Various (Instrumental)||Viscera (Instrumentals)||3:38||2014||February 28, 2015||
"Rebellion" was debuted live at the private production rehearsal in West Palm Beach along with "Final Masquerade". It was played following "Papercut" in both Sets A and B. It always featured a short extended intro with the intro sound being looped twice. At performances in Hollywood Bowl and KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas 2014, Daron Malakian joined the band to perform the song on guitar. In 2015, it was dropped from the sets for the 2015 North American tour, but was brought back for the full version of the festival set in the summer of 2015, but did not return in the headlining setlist.
"Rebellion" was resurrected for the memorial show dedicated to Chester Bennington, where Daron Malakian and Shavo Odadjian of System Of A Down and Frank Zummo of Sum 41 joined the band for the song.
Last Updated: December 26, 2015
|Type||Description||First Played||Last Played|
|Intro||Doubled Intro||August 6, 2014||November 7, 2015|
Last Updated: July 18, 2018
- Benjamin Chandler (replacing Brad Delson)
- Daron Malakian (System Of A Down)
- Frank Zummo (Sum 41)
- Shavo Odadjian (System Of A Down)
- Warren Willis (replacing Joe Hahn)
Awards and Nominations
|2015||Loudwire Music Awards||Rock Song of the Year||Nominated|
Linkin Park is
- Chester Bennington
- Rob Bourdon
- Brad Delson
- Joe Hahn
- Mike Shinoda
- Produced by Mike Shinoda and Brad Delson
- Lyrics & Vocals by Mike Shionda and Chester Bennington
- "Rebellion" co-written by Daron Malakian
- Background Vocals by Brad Delson, Joe Hahn, Rob Bourdon, and Phoenix
- Additional Lyrics by Brad Delson
- Engineering by Ethan Mates and Mike Shinoda
- Digital editing by Josh Newell
- Assistant Engineer: Alejandro Baima
- Additional Assistant Engineers: Brendan Dekora and Jennifer Langdon
- Studio Electro Tech: Warren Willis
- Studio Drum Tech: Jerry Johnson
- Album Production Coordination: Ryan DeMarti
- Recorded at Larrabee Sound Studios, North Hollywood, CA
- Additional Recording at EastWest Studios and Glenwood Place Studios
- Mixed by Andy Wallace
- Pro Tools Engineered by Paul Suarez
- Assisted by Del Bowers
- Mastered by Emily Lazar at The Lodge
- Assisted by Rich Morales
- Additional Guitar on "Rebellion" by Daron Malakian
I've seen the blood
Linkin Park with Daron Malakian and Austin Carlile at the Hollywood Bowl in 2014
In Other Media
- "Rebellion" is featured in Linkin Park's 2014 videogame LP Recharge - Wastelands.
- "Rebellion" was released in 2015 as a Xbox One pre-order bonus song for the 2015 videogame Rock Band 4.
- New Linkin Park Track: Asteroids - Newswire - Linkin Park Live, November 27, 2014
- Altwire, January 2015
- TheBlackoutShow, May 2014
- Loudwire, June 2014
- Shortlist, November 2014
- Linkin Park's Rob Bourdon - Modern Drummer Magazine, September 2014
- Linkin Park Association, December 2015
- LINKIN PARK no Twitter: "Our special guests last night at the Hollywood Bowl... Rebellion featuring Daron, and @austincarlile on Faint. http://t.co/mYSElECkHJ" ., September 16, 2014