Nothing Makes Sense Anymore
|"Nothing Makes Sense Anymore"|
|Single by Mike Shinoda|
|from the album Post Traumatic|
|Released||March 29, 2018|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
"Nothing Makes Sense Anymore" is a song that is filled with metaphors that relate back to how Mike saw the world after Chester Bennington's passing.
Mike told Genius about the first verse, "There was a time (maybe around our album A Thousand Suns?) when I thought I used too many water metaphors, so I had to stop. It'’s been a little while since then, so I thought it was OK to put this one in the song. When a loved one passes away, many people, myself included, describe the feeling as "being lost at sea." There's a feeling of lack of direction and lack of control. Part of making the Post Traumatic album was an attempt to find direction and regain control of my creative and personal life."
About the chorus, "One of my favorite albums growing up was The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails. I think this song has some inspiration from the thousands of times I listened to that album."
About the second verse, "This verse was inspired by the delicate nature of art, and how sometimes things happen that can't be undone. On a bit lighter note, I went to college for art; some of our projects lasted weeks, even months. But sometimes, things went wrong. One time, I had a project painted with gouache, which is like watercolor but with a powdery pigment look to it. If you were supposed to paint a flat square with it, any moisture, oil, or water that got sprayed on top would ruin it, leaving spots. I had probably put in 10 hours on a color theory project where I was supposed to paint perfect, flat colored squares... and I sneezed. I had to totally start over."
About the bridge, "When I’m writing "singing" lyrics, I'm looking for things that sing well, and sum up a core truth about my song subject. There’s a futility in this bridge that seemed to "complete the song," for me."
|1||Crossing A Line||Mike Shinoda||4:02|
|2||Nothing Makes Sense Anymore||Shinoda||3:33|
On February 8th, Mike tweeted, "Friends in LA: can anyone give me a live video YOU SHOT (and own) of the Skirball fire? Must be a vid of the fire, not of a TV / news / etc (they own that footage). I want to use it for something I'm making. Use #FireVideoForMike to show me." and "Ask your friends for me. I need a video someone took in person, of the Getty Center / Skirball Fire. #FireVideoForMike"
This footage was used in the music video, released on March 29th. The video featured footage of the LA fire and Mike walking through the LA nature and the burned terrain while singing the song.
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Nothing Makes Sense Anymore||Crossing A Line / Nothing Makes Sense Anymore||3:33||2017-2018||March 29, 2018|
|Nothing Makes Sense Anymore||Post Traumatic - Instrumentals||3:33||2017-2018||
Though the song was never played live, on December 26, 2019, Mike posted a picture on Instagram of a part of his live rig used to trigger pieces of songs, and one of the labeled buttons was for "NMSA", indicating he considered playing it live at some point, but chose not to.
I used to know where the bottom was
- Nothing Makes Sense Anymore (Music Video): YouTube
- Kevin Ryder on Twitter: "Tomorrow @kevinandbean Tix in the Goodie Bag Section for April Foolishness, @drdrew, are you a loser if you go to the movies by yourself?, and @mikeshinoda w new solo music at 7 AM PT!… https://t.co/pBeMmhRKem" ., March 28, 2018
- https://genius.com/14241428 Genius: "Nothing Makes Sense Anymore" Lyrics
- Mike Shinoda no Twitter: "Friends in LA: can anyone give me a live video YOU SHOT (and own) of the Skirball fire? Must be a vid of the fire, not of a TV / news / etc (they own that footage). I want to use it for something I’m making. Use #FireVideoForMike to show me." ., February 08, 2018
- Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "Ask your friends for me. I need a video someone took in person, of the Getty Center / Skirball Fire. #FireVideoForMike 🔥🙏🏽" ., February 08, 2018