LP Underground 6
|LP Underground 6|
|EP by Linkin Park|
|Released||December 5, 2006|
|Linkin Park Underground chronology|
LP Underground 6 is Linkin Park's sixth EP, and sixth release from their fanclub, the LP Underground. The EP contains six tracks, four of which are live recordings from the band's short Japan Tour in 2006. The EP's release coincided of the new version of the LP Underground, and was released on December 5, 2006.
Writing and Recording
The EP contains two studio tracks and four live tracks. The introductory track, "Announcement Service Public", was a seed from the recording sessions of Minutes To Midnight. "QWERTY" is featured twice on the EP; once in its studio form and another from its live performance in Chiba, Japan. The song was still being written as the band went to perform it on tour; in fact, the song's lyrics were finished on the plane ride to Japan. In a newsletter sent after the tour, Rob explained: "The song 'QWERTY' came together in an hour and then it was rearranged over the next three days in the rehearsal room and the studio. The lyrics were actually finished on the flight to Japan."
Rob said, "Over the last year we have written so many new songs and really wanted to give some of the early ideas to our hardcore fans that will not be on the new album. Other tracks include a live version of an old track from back when our band was called XERO, and some special live tracks we played at the Japan shows this past August."
He added, "I definitely think that this CD is the best one we've done so far. This does have two new tracks from the studio. We've never been able to be in the studio and have a ton of extra songs and be writing while putting the fan pack together. So that's been a huge bonus."
The four live tracks featured on the album ("QWERTY", the piano version of "Pushing Me Away", "Breaking The Habit", and "Reading My Eyes") were all from the band's performance in Chiba, Japan. However, Mike made a lyrical mistake in the first verse of "QWERTY" that was overdubbed later. In addition, Chester made a mistake in the first chorus of "Pushing Me Away", which was overdubbed with the audio from a previous show in Osaka, Japan.
The album primarily features recordings of the band performing live. The live recording of "QWERTY" is the 2006 Version of the song, which features the last two lines of the first verse repeated before the first chorus. "Pushing Me Away" is performed as its piano version rather than its studio version. "Breaking The Habit" features an extended piano intro that features Chester singing the first verse of the song before the entire band kicks in to restart the song, as well as the 2006 Outro of the song which features Chester singing the chorus of the song over Mike's piano.
|1||Announcement Service Public||Linkin Park||2:23|
|3||QWERTY (Live)||Linkin Park||3:55|
|4||Pushing Me Away (Live)||Bennington Chester Charles, Bourdon Robert G, Delson Brad, Hahn Joseph, Shinoda Mike||3:30|
|5||Breaking The Habit (Live)||Linkin Park||5:21|
|6||Reading My Eyes (Live)||Delson, Hahn, Shinoda, Wakefield Mark||2:23|
- Chester Bennington
- Rob Bourdon
- Brad Delson
- Joseph Hahn
- Mike Shinoda
- Tracks 1 and 2 were recorded at The Mansion at Laurel Canyon and Korn Studios. Produced by Rick Rubin and Mike Shinoda. Engineered by Andrew Schepps. 2nd Engineer Phillip Broussard Jr. Additional engineering by Dana Nielsen
- Tracks 3 - 6 were recorded live at the Chiba Marine Stadium in Tokyo, Japan on August 13, 2006 at the Summer Sonic Festival
- All tracks mixed by Ethan Mates and mastered by Brian "Big Bass" Gardner
- LP Underground coordination: Jessica Bardas, Natalie So, Mona Kasim
- Production coordination: Ryan DeMarti and Natalie So
- Additional LPU thanks: Elizabeth Baudouin, Vicki Stepanenko, Erin Haney, Pete George, Amy Staupe
- Linkin Park worldwide representation: Rob McDermott for Mad Mac Entertainment
- LP Underground founded by Linkin Park and Jessica Bardas 2001
- Special thanks to MTV Japan, Creative Man, Warner Bros. Records and Zomba Music Publishing
- Art direction: Bandmerch
Songs Played Live
- "QWERTY" is the one of the only songs in Linkin Park's discography that has been performed live before it was released in any form. "A Light That Never Comes" was premiered live as well, coincidentally also at the Summer Sonic festival in Japan.
- The live recording of "QWERTY" was leaked on LPAssociation weeks before it was released on the CD. The leaked audio, with 4:02 in length, was slightly longer than the one that ended up on the CD.
- Phoenix is the only Linkin Park member who didn't receive writing credits for "Reading My Eyes" on the CD.