LP Underground 5.0
|LP Underground 5.0|
|EP by Linkin Park & Jay-Z|
|Released||November 21, 2005|
|Recorded||July 2, 2005 Outside the Museum Of Art in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
|Linkin Park Underground chronology|
LP Underground 5.0 is the fifth EP released by Linkin Park, and the fifth released for the band's official fanclub, the LP Underground. The album features six tracks recorded from the band's performance at Live 8 in 2005. Four of the six tracks on the CD feature guest vocals from Jay-Z, as most of them are live versions of songs from Collision Course. The EP was released on November 21, 2005, coinciding with the release of the new version of the LP Underground.
Writing and Recording
The EP was recorded live outside the Museum Of Art of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on July 02, 2005. The performance was part of the Live 8 event.
The production of the EP is often criticized for being so heavily edited. Throughout the EP, many tracks clip due to heavy distortion. The most obvious example of the album's bad mastering is during "Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying From You", where Chester's "Trying to bend the truth, lying my way from you" line in the first and third verses are heavily distorted. Some mistakes were also fixed, like Jay-Z coming in too early on "Big Pimpin'/Papercut".
All of the songs featured on the EP were performed live. Two tracks are solely Linkin Park tracks: "Somewhere I Belong" and "Breaking The Habit" from Meteora; while three others are from Collision Course ("Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying From You", "Big Pimpin'/Papercut", and "Jigga What/Faint"). The track "Public Service Announcement" is a Jay-Z song the band performed to introduce him to the stage, as Linkin Park and Jay-Z combined their set times so they could have one big performance. This was the only time the band has ever performed the song.
"Crawling" was the only song from the show not to receive an official release. Although not included in the EP, "In The End" and "Numb/Encore" were released in November 2005 on the 4 DVD set Live 8: One Day, One Concert, One World and the audio was released on May 28, 2019 as part of the Live 8 (Live, July 2005) digital album.
All tracks recorded live at Live 8 in Philadelphia, PA. July 2, 2005.
|1||Somewhere I Belong||Linkin Park||4:19|
|2||Breaking The Habit||Linkin Park||4:41|
|3||Public Service Announcement - Intro||Jay-Z, Linkin Park||1:18|
|4||Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Lying From You||Jay-Z, Linkin Park||4:05|
|5||Big Pimpin'/Papercut||Jay-Z, Linkin Park||2:33|
|6||Jigga What/Faint||Jay-Z, Linkin Park||3:51|
- Chester Bennington
- Rob Bourdon
- Brad Delson
- Joseph Hahn
- Mike Shinoda
- All tracks recorded live at Live 8 in Philadelphia, PA. July 2, 2005
- Mixed by James "Jimbo" Barton
- Pro Tools by Ethan Mates
- Recorded by Guy Charbonneau
- Mastered at Bernie Grundman Mastering
- Special thanks to the Live 8 Trust and the Korn Family
- LP Underground coordination: Jessica Bardas, Michelle Yin, Mona Kasim, Natalie So, Rea Doria, Aubrey Volbrecht
- Production coordination: Stephanie Luby and Ryan DeMarti
- Additional production coordination: Dave Parker, Greg Sato
- LP Underground founded by Linkin Park and Jessica Bardas 2001
- Linkin Park worldwide representation: Rob McDermott for The Firm
- Art direction and design: Jackson Chandler at BandMerch
- The original version of "Public Service Announcement" can be found on Jay-Z's 2003 album The Black Album.