Crawl Back In
|"Crawl Back In"|
|Single by Dead By Sunrise|
|from the album Out Of Ashes|
August 18, 2009 (Digital)|
September 25, 2009 (CD Single)
|Live debut||July 04, 2009|
|Last played||February 28, 2010|
|Writer(s)||Chester Charles Bennington, Amir Davidson, Ryan Christopher Shuck, Anthony Valcic|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
|Dead By Sunrise singles chronology|
"Crawl Back In" is described by Chester Bennington as a "straight-up rock" song. In the lyrics, he openly talks about a dark period in his life and his slow climb back into the light. He said, "It's a song about questioning your authenticity. I do that every once in a while; I wonder how many of my own thoughts are really my own, and how much influence do the people around me have on the person I am. There's a lot of that on the record. There's a very dark side [to it], and there's a very light side on it. There are songs about being in love and there's songs about hating people. It's a very strange juxtaposition. And that represents what had been going on in my life over the past couple of years — really great moments happening at the same time as these really terrible things were happening."
In Linkin Park, the band would work in the music first to create melodies later, but Chester's process in Dead By Sunrise was different. To exemplify this, he explained how "Crawl Back In" came together. "With Dead By Sunrise, I can hear anything in my head and sit down and play it on the guitar. If I like it, I'll take it in. If it's a really mellow song, then I'll bring it in. I don't care if it's folksy and mellow. For example, when I wrote Crawl Back In I heard that (sings melody) in my head. I was like, This is cool. So I sat down and wrote it out. I put the pieces together and brought it in, and we started working on it. I was just like, I like this thing. I like the sound of it. It's cool."
When the initial tracklist for the Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen soundtrack album was leaked on May 15, 2009 by music.server.sk, "Crawl Back In" was listed as the 10th track. This was the first planned release of the song in any form, but the band ultimately decided not to do it. The track was released through the band's official MySpace page on August 16.
|1||Crawl Back In||Chester Bennington, Amir Derakh, Ryan Shuck, Anthony "Fu" Valcic||3:03|
|2||Crawl Back In (Live)||Bennington, Derakh, Shuck, Valcic||3:12|
|3||My Suffering (Live)||Bennington, Derakh, Shuck, Valcic||2:55|
|1||Crawl Back In||Bennington, Derakh, Shuck, Valcic||3:03|
The music video for "Crawl Back In" was shot in the Vasquez Rocks Natural Park in Los Angeles, California. The band worked with the production company Bau-da Design Lab. It was commissioned by Devin Sarno, directed by P.R. Brown and producer by Christina Wagner. Jaron Presant was the director of photography. The video was shot back to back with "Let Down" on Tuesday, July 14th and Wednesday, July 15th. The planned release date was September 8th through Dead By Sunrise's official MySpace page, but the video leaked a few days earlier, on September 5th, on YouTube.
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Crawl Back In||Crawl Back In||3:02||2007-2009||August 16, 2009|
|Crawl Back In||Out Of Ashes Instrumentals||3:07||2007-2009||
|Crawl Back In (Live At Sonisphere 2009)||Sonisphere EP
Out Of Ashes (iTunes)
|3:11||August 02, 2009||July 27, 2009||
|Crawl Back In (Live)||Crawl Back In||3:13||July 30, 2009||August 18, 2009||
"Crawl Back In" got its live debut at the Club Tattoo grand opening celebration in Las Vegas, 2009 as the opening song of the show. The song was played acoustically, though the studio version of the song debuted at the Stuttgart show of Linkin Park's 2009 summer tour, where it was played as the second song of the first encore of Linkin Park's set. After that show, the song was used to open the first encore. Once the band embarked on their promotional tour for Out Of Ashes, "Crawl Back In" was used to open the show with an extended intro. At the show in Columbia, "Crawl Back In" was moved to mid-set for the first time ever at a full show, being played after "Too Late", while "End Of The World" opened the show instead. Starting with the band's 2010 Asian tour, "Crawl Back In" was used to open the encore of the shows, a position it maintained throughout the Asian and European tours. The song was included as the last song of the Stars Of The Season Gala event, being played acoustically.
|Type||Description||First Played||Last Played|
|Intro||Heavy part of the intro doubled with an extra synth line||October 01, 2009||February 28, 2010|
Dead By Sunrise
- Chester Bennington
- Ryan Shuck
- Amir Derakh
- Elias Andra
- Brandon Belsky
- Anthony "Fu" Valcic
- Howard Benson: producer
- Tom Whalley: executive producer
- Mike Plotnikoff: recorder
- Chris Lord-Alge: mixer
Sometimes I look at my own face
In Other Media
"Crawl Back In" was used for a promo for TNA Wrestling in 2009.
- ↑ A chat with Chester Bennington, Chester Bennington interview, Dead by Sunrise, Linkin Park, December 11, 2009
- ↑ Linkin Park's Chester Bennington Gets 'Dark' With New Band, Dead By Sunrise - MTV, July 16, 2009
- ↑ Chester Bennington: 'Now I Can Write About Anything I Want' | Music News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com, October 08, 2009
- ↑ Transformers Movie Soundtrack Track List Posted - No Stan Bush or Tyrese & Jewel - Transformer World 2005 - TFW2005.COM, May 25, 2009
- ↑ 21 Guns in Transformers 2 Soundtrack - Green Day Chat - Green Day Community, May 25, 2009
- ↑ Chester Bennington on Twitter: "@violethill1234 we were considering it, but I decided not to do it" .
- ↑ Crawl Back In premiered on Myspace - Newswire - Linkin Park Live, August 16, 2009
- ↑ SHOT: Dead By Sunrise - P.R. Brown, director | VideoStatic, July 20, 2009
- ↑ Talinda Bennington on Twitter: "This wknd is my last at home for a while and my BFF and I are going to chill by the pool.Wednesday I shoot a DBS video with my man:)" ., July 09, 2009
- ↑ Amir Derakh on Twitter: "DBS rehearsals in the Valley all weekend then we shoot TWO back to back music videos Tues and Wed." ., July 10, 2009
- ↑ Some DBS Release dates - Newswire - Linkin Park Live, August 30, 2009
- ↑ Dead By Sunrise - "Crawl Back In" Video Now On YouTube | LP Association Forums, September 05, 2009