|Song by Dead By Sunrise from the album Out Of Ashes|
|Released||October 13, 2009|
|Live debut||October 01, 2009|
|Last played||February 28, 2010|
|Writer||Chester Charles Bennington, Amir Davidson, Ryan Christopher Shuck, Anthony Valcic|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
"Condemned" is a song with a "punky new wave vibe" which Chester says is "pretty straightforward" as there is no question as to what the song is about. Talking about the inspiration for the song, he said, "I was having tough times in the middle of a long, drawn out divorce that was draining and pretty much put me on a downward spiral just because it was so…there was so much going on during that period of time, that you get songs like ‘My Suffering’ and ‘Condemned,’ and the heavier, darker stuff was all derived from the phases of that experiences." According to him, "Condemned is about that love affair with feeling like shit."
The song is featured in the soundtrack for Saw 3D, in which Chester plays an actual character named Evan. Chester had always been a huge fan of the Saw franchise and when Mark Burg became neighbours to one of his bandmates in Linkin Park, Chester got invited to be part of the film. Speaking about the inclusion of "Condemned" in the soundtrack, Chester said, "I'm glad that they asked me to put "Condemned" in the movie because I really felt like that would've been a great song for the film. I didn't really think about it at the time. I kicked the idea around, but I didn't want to plan that seed. I wanted that to come organically, and it did. Dead By Sunrise's "Condemned" is now in the film, and I think it fit."
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Condemned||Out Of Ashes
|2:32||2007-2009||October 13, 2009|
"Condemned" was debuted at the first show in promotion of Out Of Ashes, being played after "Crawl Back In", where it stayed for all of 2009 except for mtvU Ulalume, where the song was played after "End Of The World" due to "Crawl Back In" being moved down in the set. Once the band embarked on their 2010 Asian tour, "Condemned" was moved down in the set significantly, being played second to last after "End Of The World", where the song stayed throughout 2010.
Dead By Sunrise
- Chester Bennington
- Ryan Shuck
- Amir Derakh
- Elias Andra
- Brandon Belsky
- Anthony "Fu" Valcic
- Howard Benson: producer
- Tom Whalley: executive producer
- Mike Plotnikoff: recorder
- Chris Lord-Alge: mixer
Happiness for misery (I want it),
In Other Media
- "Condemned" is featured in the 2010 film Saw 3D and was included in its soundtrack album.
- A chat with Chester Bennington, Chester Bennington interview, Dead by Sunrise, Linkin Park, December 11, 2009
- Interview with Chester Bennington: Dead By Sunrise Thrive In The Moonlight | The Aquarian Weekly - Page 2, October 13, 2009
- Interview with Chester Bennington: Dead By Sunrise Thrive In The Moonlight | The Aquarian Weekly, October 13, 2009
- Chester Bennington: 'Now I Can Write About Anything I Want' | Music News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com, October 08, 2009
- Linkin Park's Chester Bennington Explains How He Ended Up In 'Saw 3D' - MTV, October 28, 2010
- Chester Bennington of Linkin Park Talks "The Messenger," "Saw 3D" and "A Thousand Suns" @ARTISTdirect, October 05, 2010