Sorry For Now
|"Sorry For Now"|
|Song by Linkin Park from the album One More Light|
|Working title||Sorry For Now|
|Released||May 19, 2017|
|Live debut||May 12, 2018|
|Last played||June 20, 2018|
|Producer||Mike Shinoda, Brad Delson, Blackbear, Andrew Goldstein, Michael Keenan, Andrew Bolooki|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
"Sorry For Now" is the seventh track on One More Light. It was co-produced with Blackbear and Andrew Goldstein. The song is predominantly sung by Mike Shinoda with Chester Bennington doing rap vocals. The song had its premiere on May 18, 2017 on Beats 1. It was scheduled to be released sometime around August or September as a single in Europe, following the US release of "Talking To Myself", but it was cancelled after Chester's death.
On June 3, 2016, Los Angeles singer/songwriter Blackbear tweeted he was in the studio with Linkin Park.
On August 5, Blackbear was back in the studio with Linkin Park and a new video (this time with sound) was posted showing Brad playing acoustic guitar. American singer-songwriter and record producer Andrew Goldstein was also in the studio with them. Mike wrote on his Instagram, "Making beautiful music with these gentlemen today." Blackbear later posted a video recorded at Linkin Park's studio on his Snapchat account in which a clip of a new song could be heard.
On September 21, someone from LPHQ posted a video on Instagram where a joint Linkin Park and Blackbear cap could be seen, indicating the two artists have been collaborating in more than just music. Printouts with Tohji Yamamoto's (Japanese designer) trademark were also visible.
On October 13, Andrew Goldstein and Blackbear were back to the studio with Linkin Park and a video of Brad recording guitars was posted on Mike's Snapchat story. According to Brad, the song has a really unique presentation of the guitar in a way they've never done before.
Mike Shinoda spoke about how the collaboration came together in interview to LPAssociation, "On Sorry For Now, I had a finished vocal and a rough track that the whole band liked, but we all thought the track could use some spice. We invited Blackbear and Andrew Goldstein in with me, Chester, and Brad, and we created this vocal sample drop together that took the song to a whole new level. It was really fun having people with different perspectives and talents in the room each time."
Before One More Light was released, Mike Shinoda gave Waves a song-by-song glimpse into the album's production and mixing. For "Sorry For Now", he said, "Studio magic! Brad [Delson, Linkin Park lead guitarist] and I had some assistance from our co-producers Blackbear and Andrew Goldstein on that track. The whole thing was like a mad science experiment, with everyone throwing things into the mix. Andrew and I had our laptops back-to-back, both in different software with audio lines going into the board, and a third computer playing the song back."
As for the idea behind the lyrics, he said, "It's a funny song. Like, Sorry For Now is the other one on the album that I sing, and what's kind of new for us and for people who love the song is that you don't usually get a song that's a little bit lighter. It's a little lighter, like it's not supposed to be so serious. The idea of the song is like, ok, you know, the kids are upset because you're going away and you say you're sorry but in your head you're kinda like 'eh, I'm kinda not sorry.' Like 'I'm sorry because you're little and you don't get it.' I'm doing something that's a huge blessing to be able to do that no people get to do this for a living. Like, we're just so lucky. Number two, it pays the bills and you get to live in a house and you get to have clothes, food, because I go to work. And number three, I like doing it. And you're little and you don't understand all these things, so I'm gonna tell you I'm sorry but the truth is like, you'll understand this later. When you're older you'll go 'wow, I'm sure glad that my dad is in Linkin Park. Because I get to go to, like, the concerts and, like, I can get, you know, free tickets to other shows. And I've got opportunities I wouldn't have otherwise. And, you know, they make great music and I'm proud of my dad and whatever.' Like, that part of it the little ones don't understand and they will later."
|1||Sorry For Now (Main)||Mike Shinoda||3:20|
|2||Sorry For Now (Instrumental)||Mike Shinoda||3:20|
|3||Sorry For Now (Acapella)||Mike Shinoda||3:20|
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Sorry For Now||One More Light||3:23||2016||May 19, 2017|
|Sorry For Now||One More Light Instrumentals||3:23||2016||
"Sorry For Now" was never performed live by Linkin Park. The song was in consideration for Mike Shinoda's solo tour in 2018 and was part of a setlist poll he created, but it lost to "Roads Untraveled".
Mike started performing "Sorry For Now" in his solo shows beginning with his Identity LA set, where the song was performed with an extended intro. At the Gramercy Theater show, Mike rapped the demo verse of the bridge in place of the studio version. Shortly after Matt and Dan joined Mike on tour, Dan started performing a drum solo over the extended bridge of "Sorry For Now". Starting on the Toronto and New York City stops of Monster Energy's Outbreak Tour, Mike would sporadically rap the first verse of "High Voltage" or the demo verse of "Lift Off" over the bridge. Starting in New Oreleans, he would rap the chorus of "High Voltage" in addition to the first verse when he did the verse. At the last show of the Outbreak Tour in Silver Spring, Mike rapped the demo verse of "Sorry For Now" as part of the live version of "Lift Off". Beginning on the 2019 European Tour and through the remainder of the Post Traumatic cycle, Mike would rap different verses over the bridge of "Sorry For Now" far more frequently, adding songs like "Hands Held High", "Step Up", "Petrified" "Dedicated", "Nobody's Listening", "Second To None", and "Keys To The Kingdom" into the rotation.
Last Updated: May 1, 2020
|Type||Description||First Played||Last Played|
|Intro||Post-chorus vocal samples over synth||May 12, 2018||June 20, 2018|
|Bridge||Demo Bridge||June 20, 2018||September 7, 2018|
|Bridge||Drum Solo||August 9, 2018||September 6, 2019|
|Bridge||w/ "High Voltage" v1||October 11, 2018||October 11, 2018|
|Bridge||w/ "Lift Off" demo verse||October 13, 2018||March 17, 2019|
|Bridge||w/ "High Voltage" v1 + Chorus||October 25, 2018||March 25, 2019|
|Bridge||w/ "Hands Held High" v1||March 5, 2019||March 8, 2019|
|Bridge||w/ "Step Up" v1 + Chorus||March 10, 2019||March 10, 2019|
|Bridge||w/ "Petrified" v1||March 12, 2019||March 12, 2019|
|Bridge||w/ "Dedicated" v1||March 15, 2019||March 15, 2019|
|Bridge||w/ "Step Up" Chorus||March 14, 2019||March 17, 2019|
|Bridge||w/ "Nobody's Listening" v1||August 31, 2019||August 31, 2019|
|Bridge||w/ "Second To None" v1||September 6, 2019||September 6, 2019|
|Bridge||w/ "Keys To The Kingdom" v2||September 6, 2019||September 6, 2019|
- Chester Bennington - Vocals
- Rob Bourdon - Drums
- Brad Delson - Guitar
- Joseph Hahn - Programming
- Phoenix - Bass
- Mike Shinoda - Keyboards, Programming, Vocals
- Written by Mike Shinoda
- Produced by Mike Shinoda and Brad Delson
- Co-produced by Blackbear for Beartrap LLC and Andrew "Goldstein" Goldstein for Mod Squad Music Inc.
- Additional production by Michael Keenan
- Vocal production by Andrew Bolooki
- Music performed by Linkin Park
- Vocals by Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda
- Chester's vocals recorded at The Pool Recording Studio, London, UK
- Mike's vocals recorded at The Warehouse Studio, Vancouver, CA
- Music recorded at Larrabee Studios, North Hollywood, CA and Sphere Studios, North Hollywood, CA
- Engineered by Ethan Mates, Mike Shinoda and Josh Newell
- Assistant engineer: Alejandro Baima
- Studio B assistant engineer: Warren Willis
- Studio drum tech: Jerry Johnson
- Mixed by Serban Ghenea at Mixstar Studios, Virginia Beach, VA
- Engineered for mix by John Hanes
Watching the wings cut through the clouds
You have gotta be kidding / It's a hobby we're living
- Sorry For Now (Official Audio): LPTV
- Snack God 2.0 on Twitter: "Preorder the new @linkinpark album "One More Light!" I had the honor of producing "Sorry For Now" with the sir @iamblackbear 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉 https://t.co/OvjvM88ivr" ., March 17, 2017
- Linkin Park - Timeline, February 21, 2017
- Linkin Park - Publications, May 18, 2017
- blackbear no Twitter: "in studio with @linkinpark 👀 this gonna be crazy" ., June 03, 2016
- Linkin Park, August 05, 2016
- Andrew Goldstein on Instagram: “Goals today with @linkinpark and @iamblackbear”, August 05, 2016
- Mike Shinoda on Instagram: “Making beautiful music with these gentlemen today. @iamblackbear @andrewgoldstein”, August 05, 2016
- BlackBear snapchat - YouTube, August 23, 2016
- Linkin Park Coalition | VK, September 21, 2016
- instagram story - YouTube, September 22, 2016
- Andrew Goldstein on Instagram: “Back in the studio today with @linkinpark & @iamblackbear #guitartabs”, October 13, 2016
- Mike Shinoda snapchat story 13.10.16 [LPCoalition - YouTube], October 13, 2016
- Linkin Park’s Brad Delson talks One More Light: 'There really is a ton of guitar on this album' | MusicRadar, March 03, 2017
- LPAssociation Interview - Mike Shinoda Discusses New Linkin Park Album 'One More Light' | LP Association Forums, February 21, 2017
- Producing Linkin Park’s One More Light | Waves, July 13, 2017
- Linkin Park im Interview: War es das letzte Album? - YouTube, April 12, 2017
- A Sneak Peak At Mike's Setlist? - Newswire - Linkin Park Live, May 02, 2018
- Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "I'm starting to put together a set for future shows, and there might be a open slot for a song. Which should I add?" ., April 17, 2018