|Song by Grey Daze from the album ...No Sun Today|
|Released||May 23, 1997|
|Writer||Chester Bennington, Sean Dowdell|
"Sickness" was written sometime in late 1996 and recorded live in the studio by David Knauer and Mike Jones during the pre-production session for ...No Sun Today in December. That same month, Knauer was in a bad car accident so he had to move way from the project. The album version was produced by Jones.
Amends Version (2020)
Grey Daze included "Sickness" on their 2020 album Amends, with re-recorded instrumentals and using older takes of Chester's vocals. The song features guest Page Hamilton of Helmet. It was produced by Pete Nappi.
The song addresses Chester's feeling of inadequacy and the unyielding emotions that come with it. Cristin Davis said, "It’s like an itch that can’t get scratched. It’s like you want something and you can’t ever seem to get enough of it." Sean Dowdell explained, "We had many conversations when he was alive, he just really wanted to be loved. I don’t think he ever really fully understood how much people loved him."
In the Amends track-by-track with Apple Music, Sean said, "Page Hamilton [of Helmet] and Chester were good friends, so we brought him in to play on this track. When I look back and read the lyrics, I can't help but think that this song is about addiction. We did a bunch of interviews when Chester was alive, and I heard Chester tell the story of why he wrote the lyrics the way he did - about being a malcontent, about being empty. But when I read them, I think there's a subplot in there about addiction."
A music video for the Amends version of "Sickness" was directed by Nico Poalillo and Brandon Rottman and released on February 06, 2020. The video is "loosely based on a true story from when Chester was 15 years old", says Sean. "He was being bullied at school and one day suffered a real beating. That was the day I assumed a role as protector and almost older brother figure to Chester that has lasted since, even after his passing."
Director - Nico Poalillo
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Sickness||...No Sun Today||2:45||1996-1997||May 23, 1997|
|Sickness||...No Sun Today||2:48||2002||
|Sickness||"No Sun Today" Pre-Production Live Session||December 03, 1996||
|Sickness||Amends||2:51||2017-2020||June 26, 2020||
"Sickness" was one of the band's favorite songs to play live. It was performed opening their set in 1997.
- Guitar: Bobby Benish
- Vocals: Chester Bennington
- Bass: Mace Beyers
- Drums / Backing vocals: Sean Dowdell
- This record was recorded and mixed at the Conservatory of Recording Arts & Sciences, Tempe, AZ (602) 858-9400
- Produced by Michael Jones and Grey Daze
- Engineered by Michael Jones and Ghery Fimbres
- Assisted by Kelly "????" Gabler
- Mastered by Andrew Garver at A&M Mastering Studios, Hollywood, CA
I'm a whore and I'm feeling sorry for myself
- Chester Bennington's Pre-Linkin Park Band Releasing Track with His Original Vocals, January 15, 2020
- New Music From Grey Daze (Chester Bennington's First Band), January 15, 2020
- LPLive Wiki - Grey Daze Story, October 06, 2015
- EXCLUSIVE: Grey Daze on the Making of 'Sickness' and Honoring Chester Bennington | KISW, February 06, 2020
- Apple Music: Grey Daze - Amends, June 26, 2020
- Grey Daze Announce Upcoming Album, Amends; Release New Single And Video — Kerrang!, February 06, 2020
- Grey Daze - Sickness (Official Music Video) - YouTube, February 06, 2020
- Grey Daze - Publications, October 09, 2017