|Song by Linkin Park from the album One More Light|
|Working title||Sharp Edges|
|Released||May 19, 2017|
|Live debut||June 12, 2017|
|Last played||October 27, 2017|
|Writer||Mike Shinoda, Brad Delson, Ilsey Juber|
|Producer||Mike Shinoda, Brad Delson, RAC, Emily Wright|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
"Sharp Edges" is the tenth and final track on One More Light. The song was co-written with a female songwriter, Ilsey Juber, who also provided background vocals. It was Chester Bennington's favorite song on the album, described by him as having a country vibe. Guitarist Brad Delson says he loves the acoustic work on the song and it is one of his favorites on the album, along with "Heavy".
"Sharp Edges" talks about things you're told when growing up and how sometimes we have no choice but to do something you're told not to so you can have a concept of what it really means (like not touching a hot stove because it burns). Brad Delson was the lead writer on the song.
Before One More Light was released, Mike Shinoda gave Waves a song-by-song glimpse into the album's production and mixing. For "Sharp Edges", he said, "Yes, our lead engineer Ethan Mates has a beautiful acoustic guitar we always use. Choosing the right guitar is really the key, I think. I think we just recorded it with the Flea mic, too."
A live video of "Sharp Edges" from One More Light Live was created by Mark Fiore to promote the album and released on December 14, 2017 through Linkin Park's official YouTube channel. It was the live debut of the song, recorded in Berlin on June 12th.
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Sharp Edges||One More Light||2:58||2016||May 19, 2017|
|Sharp Edges||One More Light Instrumentals||2:57||2016||
|Sharp Edges||One More Light Live||4:47||June 12, 2017||December 1, 2017||
Knowing that Sunday, May 14, 2017, the day after the show at Maximus Festival in São Paulo, would be Mother's Day in Brazil, Brad Delson expressed his desire to play "Sharp Edges", which he said would fit perfectly the occasion. However, the song wasn't played.
On June 2, the Linkin Park Instagram account posted a picture of Chester playing guitar with the caption "Battle Symphony", but Chester corrected the caption stating "Sharp Edges". The song was debuted in Berlin, where Brad, Chester, and Rob performed a stripped down version of the song to open the encore. Ilsey Juber joined the band for the song at the memorial show dedicated to Chester Bennington, with the song being transposed up from D minor to F minor.
During Mike's Post Traumatic Tour, "Sharp Edges" was played for a very brief period of time. After being soundchecked in New York, the song was officially added to the set in Stroudsburg. It was the only song in the set where Matt, a member of Mike's touring band, did lead vocals. While Mike played piano during the first performance of the track, he didn't for the second and final performance in Tampa.
In an interview with Matt in March 2019, he said, "As an example, there were times when we were touring with Mike and he wanted to talk to myself and the drummer Dan Mayo - it’s only three of us on stage - about any new songs we felt should be worked into the set. A bit later he asked me to sing one of Chester’s songs solo, maybe one of the ones he can't do, but I have the range to do. It was such an incredible honour to be asked but also a heavy decision, so I told him I felt he should pick the song because I don’t have the same knowledge and context of the fans’ relationship with the music. I really wanted him to help guide me, so he gave me a list of about five tracks and I went with Sharp Edges because it felt comfortable for me to perform on my own without Mike. The first time was such an intense and unreal experience!" He added, "Whenever Sharp Edges is in the set, I know I have to do my homework - there are some belting high notes to get to."
Last Updated: July 18, 2018
|Type||Description||First Played||Last Played|
|Intro||Guitar Intro||June 12, 2017||July 6, 2017|
|Alternative||Stripped Down||June 12, 2017||July 6, 2017|
|Alternative||1 and a half steps higher||October 27, 2017||October 27, 2017|
Last Updated: July 18, 2018
- Ilsey Juber
- Chester Bennington - Vocals
- Rob Bourdon - Drums
- Brad Delson - Guitar
- Joseph Hahn - Programming
- Phoenix - Bass
- Mike Shinoda - Keyboards, Programming, Vocals
- Background vocals by Ilsey Juber
- Written by Ilsey Juber, Brad Delson and Mike Shinoda
- Produced by Mike Shinoda and Brad Delson
- Additional production by RAC
- Vocal production by Emily Wright
- Music performed by Linkin Park
- Vocals by Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda
- Chester's vocals recorded at The Pool Recording Studio, London, UK
- Mike's vocals recorded at The Warehouse Studio, Vancouver, CA
- Music recorded at Larrabee Studios, North Hollywood, CA and Sphere Studios, North Hollywood, CA
- Engineered by Ethan Mates, Mike Shinoda and Josh Newell
- Assistant engineer: Alejandro Baima
- Studio B assistant engineer: Warren Willis
- Studio drum tech: Jerry Johnson
- Mixed by Manny Marooquin at Larrabee Studios, North Hollywood, CA
- Mix engineer: Chris Galland assisted by Jeff Jackson and Robin Florent
Momma always told me "don't you run,
- Sharp Edges (Official Audio): LPTV
- Sharp Edges (One More Light Live): LPTV
- Ilsey Juber (@ilsey) on Instagram: “So happy to have worked on this album with my friends @linkinpark and @jrotem #talkingtomyself…”, May 19, 2017
- Ticketmaster UK on Twitter: "C - Sharp Edges. Can't wait for you guys to hear it. https://t.co/hzeXkUG5ip" ., March 31, 2017
- LPAssociation on Twitter: "Sharp Edges has a country vibe. Co-wrote with a female writer - @mikeshinoda and @ChesterBe" ., March 30, 2017
- Linkin Park’s Brad Delson talks One More Light: 'There really is a ton of guitar on this album' | MusicRadar, March 03, 2017
- Linkin Park revela para 89 detalhes sobre novo álbum "One More Light, April 24, 2017
- Linkin Park Interview in Upset Magazine | LP Association Forums, April 14, 2017
- Linkin Park - One More Light - Global Album Listening Party - YouTube, March 19, 2017
- Producing Linkin Park’s One More Light | Waves, July 13, 2017
- Linkin Park - #OneMoreLight Live available everywhere tomorrow...., December 14, 2017
- ‘Sempre vamos ser uma banda pesada’, diz Linkin Park, atração do Maximus Festival – Virgula, May 12, 2017
- LINKIN PARK on Instagram: "Battle Symphony"
- musicradar: Matt Harris: "The Mike Shinoda gig involves big stages and singing someone else’s iconic parts… It's quite nerve-wracking!", March 7, 2019