|Single by Linkin Park|
|from the album The Hunting Party|
|Released||June 3, 2014|
|Live debut||August 6, 2014|
|Last played||November 7, 2015|
|Writer(s)||Linkin Park, Daron Malakian|
|Producer(s)||Brad Delson, Mike Shinoda|
|Label||Warner Bros., Machine Shop|
|Linkin Park singles chronology|
"Rebellion" was created with the help of System of A Down's guitarist, Daron Malakian. The band brought in Malakian as a source of inspiration for the band to finish the album. Initially, he was simply meant to guest on one of the songs the band had already created, like "Guilty All The Same". This, however, did not work out. Instead, Mike Shinoda had Malakian bring in some stuff and they would see what they could do together. Malakian brought in the riffs that would make up "Rebellion", and the band put the track together in just two days after that. All that was left was to put together the lyrics, which Shinoda prided himself on for their sarcastic and satirical nature, which he thought would be difficult to get across.
Mike Shinoda has stated that he would love to put together a music video for "Rebellion". However, he feels that it's time to move on to the next album, and that it would simply cost too much money and take too much time..
On December 24, 2014, several members from the Linkin Park Association community teamed up to release a remix album of The Hunting Party titled Viscera. The album was later released to the LP Underground on June 18, 2015 after the band received the full rights to distribute the album. The remix of "Rebellion" was done by minuteforce, Simple Automaton, Shurpi, and Cypher. The instrumental version of the remix was released February 28, 2015.
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Rebellion (feat. Daron Malakian)|| The Hunting Party
|3:44||2013-2014||June 13, 2014||
|Rebellion (Instrumental) (feat. Daron Malakian)||The Hunting Party: Acapellas + Instrumentals||3:45||2013-2014||August 12, 2014||
|Rebellion (Acapella)||The Hunting Party: Acapellas + Instrumentals||3:44||2013-2014||August 12, 2014||
|Rebellion: Various||Viscera||3:38||2014||December 24, 2014||
|Rebellion: Various (Instrumental)||Viscera (Instrumentals)||3:38||2014||February 28, 2015||
"Rebellion" was debuted live at the private production rehearsal in West Palm Beach along with "Final Masquerade". It was played following "Papercut" in both Sets A and B. It always featured a short extended intro with the intro sound being looped twice. At performances in Hollywood Bowl and KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas 2014, Daron Malakian joined the band to perform the song on guitar. In 2015, it was dropped from the sets for the 2015 North American tour, but was brought back for the full version of the festival set in the summer of 2015, but did not return in the headlining setlist.
Last Updated: December 26, 2015
|Type||Description||First Played||Last Played|
|Intro||Doubled Intro||August 6, 2014||November 7, 2015|
Last Updated: December 26, 2015
- Benjamin Chandler (replacing Brad Delson)
- Warren Willis (replacing Joe Hahn)
Awards and Nominations
|2015||Loudwire Music Awards||Rock Song of the Year||Nominated|
Linkin Park is
- Chester Bennington
- Rob Bourdon
- Brad Delson
- Joe Hahn
- Mike Shinoda
- Produced by Mike Shinoda and Brad Delson
- Lyrics & Vocals by Mike Shionda and Chester Bennington
- "Rebellion" co-written by Daron Malakian
- Background Vocals by Brad Delson, Joe Hahn, Rob Bourdon, and Phoenix
- Additional Lyrics by Brad Delson
- Engineering by Ethan Mates and Mike Shinoda
- Digital editing by Josh Newell
- Assistant Engineer: Alejandro Baima
- Additional Assistant Engineers: Brendan Dekora and Jennifer Langdon
- Studio Electro Tech: Warren Willis
- Studio Drum Tech: Jerry Johnson
- Album Production Coordination: Ryan DeMarti
- Recorded at Larrabee Sound Studios, North Hollywood, CA
- Additional Recording at EastWest Studios and Glenwood Place Studios
- Mixed by Andy Wallace
- Pro Tools Engineered by Paul Suarez
- Assisted by Del Bowers
- Mastered by Emily Lazar at The Lodge
- Assisted by Rich Morales
- Additional Guitar on "Rebellion" by Daron Malakian
I've seen the blood
In Other Media
- "Rebellion" is featured in Linkin Park's 2014 videogame LP Recharge - Wastelands.
- "Rebellion" was released in 2015 as a Xbox One pre-order bonus song for the 2015 videogame Rock Band 4.