Place To Start
|"Place To Start"|
|Song by Mike Shinoda from the album Post Traumatic|
|Released||January 25, 2018|
|Live debut||May 12, 2018|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
"Place To Start" is the first song on Mike Shinoda's debut studio album, Post Traumatic.
"Place To Start" is the only song on the Post Traumatic EP not to be performed entirely by Mike Shinoda as Rob Bourdon provided percussion on the song. He said, "I made the music / track of “Place To Start” while we were working on the OML album. Rob did brushes and crashes on it back then."
On an interview to Kerrang!, he further elaborated saying, "That track actually started during the [2017 album] One More Light sessions. I had brought it in as a demo and never developed it all the way to the finish. There was a time when I thought that should be the intro to the One More Light album, actually. When I listened back to it, the idea of starting the EP before Chester passed away was something I thought was nice. There was an element of that that felt... older. The lyrics are all new... Well, I shouldn't say 'all new', but they are through the lens of where I was at that particular moment. I wanted to get people, in a sense, caught up with the answer to the question that everyone asks: 'How are you doing?'"
The track also features voicemails from Mark Fiore, Ted Stryker, Phoenix and others who were all checking on Mike following Chester Bennington's death.
The music videos on the Post Traumatic EP are described as "cinéma vérité", shot in a way that doesn't obscure the fact that they're real life. Mike says he wanted to shoot a video while feeling something. He explained, "Grief is so personal, and I thought that a D.I.Y., autobiographical format made the most sense. So I shot & edited everything in the videos myself. I‘m planning to continue doing it this way until it doesn’t feel right anymore, or until the work becomes too much."
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Place To Start||Post Traumatic EP||2:13||2017||January 25, 2018|
|Place To Start (Instrumental) (105 BPM)||Post Traumatic EP - Acapellas & Instrumentals
Post Traumatic - Instrumentals
|1:37||2017||February 15, 2018||
|Place To Start (Acapella)||Post Traumatic EP - Acapellas & Instrumentals||2:16||2017||February 15, 2018||
Last Updated: July 17, 2018
|Type||Description||First Played||Last Played|
|Alternative||Shortened (No Voicemail Outro)||May 12, 2018||June 20, 2018|
- Written and produced by Mike Shinoda
- Vocals by Mike Shinoda
- Percussion on "Place To Start" by Rob Bourdon
- Mixed by Mike Shinoda
- Mastered by Michelle Mancini
I don't have a leg to stand on
- Place To Start (Official Video): YouTube
- Mike Shinoda – Place To Start Lyrics | Genius Lyrics, March 21, 2018
- Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "I made the music / track of “Place To Start” while we were working on the OML album. Rob did brushes and crashes on it back then.… https://t.co/YK8UkU1ZLw" ., January 29, 2018
- Mike Shinoda Featured in Kerrang! Magazine: Interview About Chester, Grief, New Music and Art | LP Association Forums, March 21, 2018
- Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "My friend said the videos are “cinema verite.” Shot in a way that doesn’t obscure the fact that they’re real life. The music is that way too. The car horn was audible on the mic when I was trying to record, which was super annoying. #PostTraumatic… https://t.co/fTsDurQOqk" ., January 25, 2018
- Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "(1/2) On this project, I’m trying to work “in the moment.” I record a vocal or shoot a video while I’m feeling something. For example, I wrote and recorded verse one of “over again” on the day of the Bowl show, and did verse two the day after. #PostTraumatic" ., January 25, 2018
- Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "Grief is so personal, and I thought that a D.I.Y., autobiographical format made the most sense. So I shot & edited everything in the videos myself. I‘m planning to continue doing it this way until it doesn’t feel right anymore, or until the work becomes too much. #PostTraumatic… https://t.co/6o8xU8KTZL" ., January 25, 2018