|Song by Grey Daze|
|Recorded||October 06, 1994|
|Live debut||January 22, 1994|
|Writer||Chester Bennington, Sean Dowdell|
"Painted" was a song created during the sessions that led to the recording of Grey Daze's first studio album, Wake Me.
Jonathan Krause came up with the musical idea for "Painted", describing it as a "mostly bass driven song". It was written with the band's first guitarist Steve Mitchell.
During a Grey Daze live performance at the Rally Kap Sports Bar, Chester introduced the song saying: "This next song is about a boy. The boy who thinks that nobody understands the way he lives, you know? The boy who thinks that everybody's after him. And nobody wants to be his friend."
On October 6, 1994, the very first day of working on Wake Me, the album's producer David Knauer recorded Grey Daze playing live in his studio to see what they had in store for their debut album. He recorded their performance straight to DAT tape and had Chester say the name of every song so it was documented on tape as well. "Painted" was among the songs that didn't make the album.
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Painted||"Wake Me" Pre-Production Live Session||3:13||October 06, 1994||
"Painted" debuted at the band's very first live performance, which happened on January 22, 1994 at the Thunder & Lightning Bar & Grill in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was the very first song played live by Grey Daze.
- Jason Barnes - Guitar
- Chester Bennington - Vocals
- Sean Dowdell - Drums
- Jonathan Krause - Bass
- Painted (Rally Kaps 94): YouTube
- LPLive Wiki - Grey Daze Story, October 06, 2015
- Exclusive: Grey Daze - Live in Phoenix 1994.09.xx - Newswire - Linkin Park Live, June 06, 2015
- Exclusive: "Wake Me" Pre-Production Live Session - Newswire - Linkin Park Live, October 31, 2015
- Exclusive: Grey Daze's Debut Show (w/ Unreleased Songs) - Newswire - Linkin Park Live, July 11, 2015