|Song by Mike Shinoda from the album Post Traumatic EP|
|Released||January 25, 2018|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
"Over Again" is the second song on Mike Shinoda's debut EP Post Traumatic.
"Over Again" describes Mike's experience of playing the Hollywood Bowl on honor of Chester Bennington on October 27, 2017. The first verse was written on the day of the show and the second verse the day after. He said, "While we were rehearsing for the tribute show for Chester at The Hollywood Bowl, we had to re-learn all our songs without him. The repetition of the songs is what inspired “Over Again.” When we lose someone, we have constant reminders of them in everyday life. I wrote and recorded verse one the day we played the Bowl show. I had an intense fear of doing that show, because I thought, at any moment, I could get overwhelmed by what had happened and wouldn’t be able to continue. There were dozens of guests and millions of people watching; I didn’t want to let everyone down."
Mike stressed out the lines "Well thank you genius, you think it'll be a challenge, Only my life's work hanging in the fucking balance" saying, "This might be the most important line in the song. It’s obviously horrible to lose a friend. It’s worse to lose someone you’re very very close to, in this case a best friend / brother. But to take it a step even further, I also lost someone who my whole life’s work was tied to–someone I built a whole career with. As I was writing these lyrics, I felt like my identity was in danger of being lost."
The car horn in the beginning was actually audible on the microphone when Mike was trying to record the song, which he said was "super annoying".
The music videos on the Post Traumatic EP are described as "cinéma vérité", shot in a way that doesn't obscure the fact that they're real life. Mike says he wanted to shoot a video while feeling something. He explained, "Grief is so personal, and I thought that a D.I.Y., autobiographical format made the most sense. So I shot & edited everything in the videos myself. I‘m planning to continue doing it this way until it doesn’t feel right anymore, or until the work becomes too much."
The music video for "Over Again" was recorded simultaneously with the conception of its two verses, the first being recorded on the day of the Hollywood Bowl show and the second the day after.
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
|Over Again||Post Traumatic EP||3:50||2017||January 25, 2018|
|Over Again||Post Traumatic EP (Clean)||3:50||2017||January 25, 2018||
|Over Again (Instrumental) (73 BPM)||Post Traumatic EP - Acapellas & Instrumentals||3:50||2017||February 15, 2018||
|Over Again (Acapella)||Post Traumatic EP - Acapellas & Instrumentals||3:38||2017||February 15, 2018||
- Written and produced by Mike Shinoda
- Vocals by Mike Shinoda
- Mixed by Manny Marroquin
- Mastered by Michelle Mancini
Sometimes / sometimes you don’t say goodbye once
- Over Again (Official Video): YouTube
- Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "(1/2) On this project, I’m trying to work “in the moment.” I record a vocal or shoot a video while I’m feeling something. For example, I wrote and recorded verse one of “over again” on the day of the Bowl show, and did verse two the day after. #PostTraumatic" ., January 25, 2018
- Mike Shinoda – Over Again Lyrics | Genius Lyrics, March 21, 2018
- Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "My friend said the videos are “cinema verite.” Shot in a way that doesn’t obscure the fact that they’re real life. The music is that way too. The car horn was audible on the mic when I was trying to record, which was super annoying. #PostTraumatic… https://t.co/fTsDurQOqk" ., January 25, 2018
- Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "Grief is so personal, and I thought that a D.I.Y., autobiographical format made the most sense. So I shot & edited everything in the videos myself. I‘m planning to continue doing it this way until it doesn’t feel right anymore, or until the work becomes too much. #PostTraumatic… https://t.co/6o8xU8KTZL" ., January 25, 2018