Living Things Remixes
|Living Things Remixes|
|Demo album by Linkin Park|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
Living Things Remixes is a watermarked CD of Linkin Park rough demos for Recharged. All tracks on this promo CD are unmixed and not mastered. The disc was obtained by LPCatalog in 2015 but its content can't be released to the public due to an agreement between the fan site and the person whose name is on the CD. A rundown of the tracks was posted on September 22, 2019 on LPLive.
With the release of Living Things in 2012, Linkin Park launched a remix subscription program caled "Living Things Remixed". Fans who pre-ordered the album from the official Linkin Park store would receive one new remix per month for 8 months starting June with "Burn It Down (RAC Remix)" and ending abruptly in December 2012 with "Powerless (Enferno Remix)" after only 7 months. Among the tracks scheduled for release were the remixes of "Lost In The Echo" by The Dual Personality and Elle Vozza who were, respectively, the Grand Prize Winner and Popular Vote Winner of Indaba Music's remix contest, but they never received an official release.
Writing and Recording
Talking to The Huffington Post in July 2013, Mike Shinoda revealed Linkin Park were working on a new album and promised something very exciting for fans was coming in the following month. An August article from Yahoo! reads, "Linkin Park have already finished one song for their new album and the'll be releasing it soon, Bennington says. The track features a yet-unnamed special guest."
As Linkin Park received remixes for the Living Things remix subscription, the band enjoyed them so much they decided to compile the best remixes into an album. Mike said in the press release for Recharged, "After Reanimation I told many people I would never put together another album of remixes…but as I began to hear all the amazing reinterpretations of Living Things, I had to change my mind. The result, Recharged, is definitely worth it. I can’t wait for you guys to hear this amazing project, with contributions by Pusha T, Datsik, KillSonik, Bun B, Money Mark, and others. Our new song with Steve Aoki, A Light That Never Comes is on the album as well, plus a special remix of the new song by the inimitable Rick Rubin."
Chester spoke to MTV about the EDM nature of the tracks, "I think any of our songs lend themselves well to being remixed; I think it just comes down to being inspired to do it. There were some moments on the last record, where we kind of felt like we had come full circle. We've established this identity of being a genre-less band, and so we figured we could take that even a bit further. We decided to let other artists come in and see where their vibe comes from ... and once we started working with artists like Steve Aoki and some of these EDM guys, it felt like a natural progression."
There's no date on the CD and "A Light That Never Comes" isn't in the tracklist, but there's a note in the CD that reads Living Things Remixes Plus One NEW TRACK **NEW TRACK TBD Not Included At This Time**, meaning the song was already recorded. According to Steve Aoki, the track was started in January 2013 while the remix (also absent from the disc) was started in late June. Mike Shinoda's remix of "Victimized" is missing from the tracklist as well. Like Recharged, Living Things Remixes doesn't present any remixes of "In My Remains" either. Mike confirmed the band received a remix of the song, but didn't like it enough to release. "We actually didn't get a great remix of the song. We liked all these remixes a lot more...maybe that means we got it right on the original of IN MY REMAINS? HA"
"Castle Of Glass (Linkin Park Remix)" is a demo version of Mike Shinoda's remix from Recharged. The LPTV episode from Australia and New Zealand 2013 entitled "You're A Legend" which came out on April 29, 2013 features part of this remix. The track presents a different beginning and completely different ending.
While "Roads Untraveled (Rad Omen Remix feat. Bun B)" is the same as the remix from the Living Things remix subscription (with a longer boom echo at the ending when compared to the version on Recharged); "Until It Breaks (Money Mark Remix)", despite the title, is the exact same remix released on Recharged under the title "Until It Breaks (Money Mark Headphone Remix)" which is a modified version of the remix released for fans who pre-ordered Living Things, featuring a different beat.
About half of the tracks on the disc are simply mixed differently from their final versions. The Schoolboy remix of "I'll Be Gone" has more audible effects and the DJ Vice remix has a cut ending. On the DJ Vice remix, Chester singing "I'll be gone" at 03:12 (Recharged time) is longer. "Skin To Bone (Nick Catchdubs Remix)", besides having more audible - and different - effects and low volume, has no high hat at the end. "Burn It Down (Tom Swoon Remix)" has more audible high hats from 00:30 onwards. "Lost In The Echo (KillSonik Remix)", which is mislabed as "KilSonik" on the tracklist, is almost identical to the final version, with minor volume changes.
"Powerless (DJ Enferno Remix)" and "Burn It Down (Paul Van Dyk Remix)" were both shortened from their previously released versions. While "Burn It Down" is essentially the album version cut at 05:30; "Powerless" had many sections cut throughout the song.
|1||I'll Be Gone - DJ Vice Remix feat. Pusha T||Linkin Park||4:12|
|2||Castle Of Glass - Linkin Park Remix||4:53|
|3||Lost In The Echo - KilSonik Remix||5:09|
|4||Powerless - DJ Enferno Remix||4:00|
|5||Roads Untraveled - Rad Omen Remix feat. Bun B||5:32|
|6||Burn It Down - Tom Swoon Remix||4:45|
|7||Until It Breaks - Datsik Remix||6:04|
|8||Skin To Bone - Nick Catchdubs Remix feat. Ryu & Cody B Ware||3:57|
|9||I'll Be Gone - Schoolboy Remix||6:16|
|10||Until It Breaks - Money Mark Remix||4:39|
|11||Burn It Down - Paul Van Dyk Remix||5:30|
- CASTLE OF GLASS (Linkin Park Remix) Promo Rundown - Everything Linkin Park - Linkin Park Live, September 22, 2019
- LINKIN PARK - LIVING THINGS out 06.26.12, 2012
- LIVING THINGS Remix #1 - BURN IT DOWN (RAC mix) Now Available for Download | LP Association Forums, June 01, 2012
- LIVING THINGS Remix Subscription: December - POWERLESS (Enferno Remix) | LP Association Forums, December 20, 2012
- Linkin Park - "LOST IN THE ECHO" Remix Contest - Indaba Music, September 13, 2012
- LOST IN THE ECHO Indaba Remix Contest Winners Announced | LP Association Forums, November 15, 2012
- Urgent Matters: Talking with Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda and Incubus' Brandon Boyd, Plus a Flagship Exclusive | HuffPost, July 29, 2013
- Removed Article - The Underground - Linkin Park / LPU Forums, August 08, 2013
- Linkin Park Enlist Pusha T, Rick Rubin & More For "Living Things" Remix Album "Recharged" | Theprp.com, September 13, 2013
- Linkin Park's RECHARGED Isn't A 'Remix Album,' It's A 'Reinterpretation' - MTV, October 24, 2013
- Q&A: Steve Aoki Talks ‘Neon Future II,’ Believes the Machines Won’t Turn Against Us | SPIN, June 12, 2015
- Mike Shinoda on Instagram: “Worked with Rick Rubin at his place this week. This was where they worked on the Kanye / Yeezus record; it also was the birthplace of…”, July 01, 2013
- Mike Shinoda on Twitter: ".@lplive, Actually, Rick wasn't "producing" the track; we were writing together. 1st time we've done it, surprisingly. An experiment." ., July 04, 2013
- Linkin Park - Hey guys it’s Mike Shinoda here. As you... | Facebook, November 08, 2013
- Linkin Park Catalog on Twitter: "Recharged Castle Of Glass (M. Shinoda Remix) vs. Castle Of Glass (Linkin Park Remix), an early version of the first.… " ., April 29, 2016
- Linkin Park Catalog on Twitter: "Part of Castle Of Glass (Linkin Park Remix) - an early version of CoG (M. Shinoda Remix) is on LPTV: https://t.co/tdSVJcNCSa" ., April 30, 2016