LP Underground XIII
|LP Underground XIII|
|Compilation album by Linkin Park|
|Released||November 18, 2013|
|Linkin Park Underground chronology|
LP Underground XIII is the fourteenth CD released by Linkin Park for their fanclub, the LP Underground. It was released on November 16, 2013 to coincide with the release of the new vesrion of the LP Underground. It features demos ranging from as far back as the Meteora recording sessions to as recent as the Living Things recording sessions.
The album also features two tracks not by the band: "Truth Inside A Lie" by Ryan Giles and "Change" by Beta State, the winners of the LPU Sessions competition. The two artists were invited to work with the band in the studio, and the products were released on this CD.
The winner of the "Castle Of Glass" design contest, Andhika Nugraha (also known as Dika Toolkit), was also involved with the release. Not only he got a cash prize of $1000 and received a signed and framed copy of the t-shirt he designed, the band liked his work so much that they invited him to create the artwork for LP Underground XIII.
Writing and Recording
This CD features demos from a wide range of albums. "Cumulus" and " Pretty Birdy" are both from the Meteora sessions, the latter of which is the original 2002 demo of "Somewhere I Belong". "Basquiat" and " Universe" both hail from the Minutes To Midnight sessions, both songs being instrumentals. " Primo" - the original longform demo of "I'll Be Gone" - is from the A Thousand Suns sessions, and " Holding Company", "Hemispheres", and the three demos that were combined to become "Until It Breaks" - " Apaches", " Foot Patrol", and " Three Band Terror" - come from the Living Things recording sessions.
Some of the demos from this album have been repurposed for other projects. "Universe" became the instrumental for the Lupe Fiasco song, "Resurrection", a track in which Mike worked on. "Holding Company" was used live as an extended intro for "Lost In The Echo" throughout the Living Things touring cycle. While the music wasn't necessarily used, the title of "Apache" was used as a name for the extended intro of "Waiting For The End" starting on the Living Things touring cycle. The intro features the second verse of "Until It Breaks" rapped over the instrumental of "Waiting For The End".
|1||Basquiat (2007 Demo)||Linkin Park||3:22|
|2||Holding Company (2011 Demo)||Linkin Park||5:02|
|3||Primo (I'll Be Gone Longform 2010 Demo)||Linkin Park||5:57|
|4||Hemispheres (2011 Demo)||Linkin Park||3:42|
|5||Cumulus (2002 Demo)||Linkin Park||3:04|
|6||Pretty Birdy (Somewhere I Belong 2002 Demo)||Linkin Park||4:05|
|7||Universe (2006 Demo)||Linkin Park||3:59|
|8||Apaches (Until It Breaks Demo No. 1)||Linkin Park||2:42|
|9||Foot Patrol (Until It Breaks Demo No. 2)||Linkin Park||2:29|
|10||Three Band Terror (Until It Breaks Demo No. 3)||Linkin Park||2:00|
|11||Truth Inside A Lie (LPU Sessions 2013)||Ryan Giles||4:23|
|12||Change (LPU Sessions 2013)||Beta State||4:07|
- Chester Bennington
- Rob Bourdon
- Brad Delson
- Joseph Hahn
- Mike Shinoda
- Track 1 through 10 mixed by Mike Shinoda
- LPU Sessions engineered and mixed by Ethan Mates
- LPU Sessions digital editing by Josh Newell
- Red Bull Studio engineers: Eric Stenman and James Musshorn
- LPU Sessions recorded at Red Bull Studio, Los Angeles
- All songs mastered by Brian "Big Bass" Gardner at Bernie Grundman Mastering
- LP Underground coordination: Jessica Sklar, Lorenzo Errico
- Linkin Park worldwide representation: The Collective
- Management team: Michael Green, Jordan Berliant, Ryan DeMarti, Trish Evangelista
- LP Underground founded by Linkin Park and Jessica Sklar 2001
- Special thanks: Warner Bros. Records, Universal Music Publishing, Machine Shop, ground(ctrl), Red Bull, Adam Ruehmer, Whitney Showler, Kavi Halemane, Kiel Berry, Matt Ferro, Mark Fiore, Jim Digby and the entire LP Touring Crew
- Artwork: LPU Community member Andhika Nugraha
- Creative direction: Rickey Kim
- Art direction: Annie Nguyen
Songs Played Live
- Holding Company (as an Extended Intro for "Lost In The Echo")
- "Three Band Terror" is the only song in Linkin Park's discography to solely feature Brad.
- CASTLE OF GLASS Design Contest Winner Announced | LP Association Forums, June 05, 2013
- Design For Linkin Park « Mike Shinoda's Blog, April 09, 2013
- Design for Linkin Park Art Contest Announced | LP Association Forums, April 09, 2013