LP Underground 4.0
|LP Underground 4.0|
|EP by Linkin Park|
|Released||November 22, 2004|
|Linkin Park Underground chronology|
LP Underground 4.0 is the fourth CD released by Linkin Park for their fanclub, the LP Underground.
On the first few years of LPU, it routinely took a couple months for people to actually receive their CDs, and in the case of the LP Underground 2.0 and LP Underground 4.0 CDs, the tracklist was kept a secret until fans started receiving them in the mail.
Writing and Recording
Most of the tracks on the EP were recorded in 2004, with the only exception being "Standing In The Middle".
Besides "Standing In The Middle", the EP contains another studio track, the instrumental "Sold My Soul To Yo Mama", which was likely recorded after or during the Collision Course sessions with Jay-Z, due the samples of the DVD being used on the song.
"Step Up/Nobody's Listening/It's Goin' Down" is the full length version of the "It's Goin' Down" performance found in the Collision Course DVD, recorded at The Roxy Theatre in West Hollywood, California on July 18, 2004.
"Breaking The Habit" was taken from the band's performance at the Rock am Ring festival in Adenau, Germany on June 06, 2004.
The other two live tracks, "Wish" and "One Step Closer", were recorded during Linkin Park's third Projekt Revolution Tour. "Wish" is a Nine Inch Nails cover recorded at the Tampa Bay Amphitheatre in Tampa, Florida on August 18, 2004. Chester Bennington was able to pull a 16-second scream during the performance. "One Step Closer" was recorded at the HiFi Buys Amphitheatre in Atlanta, Georgia on August 13, 2004. Jonathan Davis of Korn joined the band during the bridge to perform his verses from "1stp Klosr".
The EP contains three tracks never available on CD before as mentioned by Mike Shinoda on the CD case: "Sold My Soul To Yo Mama", "Standing In The Middle", and "Wish". The latter is one of the band's favorite songs by Nine Inch Nails.
While "Step Up/Nobody's Listening/It's Goin' Down" and "One Step Closer" are exclusive to the EP, the live recording of "Breaking The Habit" is an extended version of the recording found on the Projekt Revolution '04 Tour Sampler CD.
Don Gilmore, who produced the band's first two studio albums, mixed "Wish" and "One Step Closer" for the EP.
|1||Sold My Soul To Yo Mama||Bennington Chester Charles, Hahn Joseph, Shinoda Mike||1:58|
|2||Breaking The Habit (Live)||Linkin Park||5:35|
|3||Standing In The Middle||Laster Paul, Matlin Kurt, Shinoda||3:22|
|4||Step Up/Nobody's Listening/It's Goin' Down (Live)||Linkin Park, Alvin Joiner, Melvin Bradford||4:57|
|5||Wish (Live)||Trent Reznor||4:29|
|6||One Step Closer Featuring Jonathan Davis (Live)||Linkin Park||3:57|
- Chester Bennington
- Rob Bourdon
- Brad Delson
- Joseph Hahn
- Mike Shinoda
- Sold My Soul To Yo Mama written by Mr. Hahn, Chester Bennington, and Mike Shinoda. Performed by Mr. Hahn and Mike Shinoda (guitars). Produced and mixed by Mr. Hahn. Recorded by Mike Shinoda. Additional engineering by Renson Mateo
- Standing In The Middle performed by Motion Man featuring Mike Shinoda. Produced by Kutmasta Kurt. Mixed by Mike Shinoda. Chorus guitar by Mike Shinoda
- Step Up / Nobody's Listening / It's Goin' Down - Live recorded in the summer of 2004
- Wish - Live recorded live at Projekt Revolution 2004. Mixed by Don Gilmore. Recorded and engineered by John Van Eaton. Assisted by Jason 'Ruster' Ruggles. Production manager: Jim Digby. Written by Trent Reznor
- One Step Closer (featuring Jonathan Davis) - Live recorded live at Projekt Revolution 2004. Mixed by Don Gilmore. Recorded and engineered by John Van Eaton. Assisted by Jason 'Ruster' Ruggles. Production manager: Jim Digby. Written by Linkin Park and reinterpreted by The Humble Brothers
- Mastered by Brian "Big Bass" Gardner at Bernie Grundman Mastering
Enhanced Video Content
- All filmed and edited by Mark Fiore
- ECD layout: Sparkart
- LP Underground coordination: Jessica Bardas and Michelle Yin
- LP Underground founded by Linkin Park and Jessica Bardas 2001
- Art direction and design: The Flem