|Song by Xero from the album Rapology 12|
|Samples||Deftones - Root|
|Producer||Mike Shinoda, Joe Hahn|
|Label||The Urban Network|
"Closing" is the sixteenth and final track on Urban Network Magazine's 1998 hip-hop compilation Rapology 12. It's a short rap rock verse taking its title from the fact that it is the closing track on the compilation.
Rapology was a series of promotional / industry-only hip-hop compilation CDs issued by Urban Network Magazine from 1992 to 2001. Lee Cadena, Rap Editor at Urban Network and creator of the Rapology series, started an artist management and development company in 1998 called LCM which worked with Xero. At the time, Joe Hahn was working for the magazine as Cadena's assistant and used to write reviews for them. Xero contributed to Rapology 12 with an original track named "Closing" and Mike Shinoda also created artwork for the album. Although the song starts with "Kenji and DJ Artofficial representing Xero" (Mike Shinoda and Joe Hahn respectively), Mark Wakefield can be heard doing backing vocals throughout the track. According to Mike, he decided to stop using the name Kenji because too many people heard it as "Ken G".
The guitar riff on "Closing" is sampled from the song "Root" by Deftones. The order of the notes and which ones are repeated was changed slightly.
Back in the day, Mike Shinoda rapped with Styles Of Beyond members using the name Junkyard Scientific, hence the shoutout to the group during the intro. This is one of three known songs in which the project is mentioned, the other ones being "Fuse" and "Fiends".
Note: Only the date of the very first release of each version is listed.
- Mike Shinoda
- Mark Wakefield
- Brad Delson
- Rob Bourdon
- Dave Farrell
- Joe Hahn
- Executive producer: Lee "The Crusher" Cadena
- Mastering: Stu Jacobs, Mr. Master
- Manufactured by: Disctronics
- Art direction: Marisa Domizio
- Cover illustration and graphic design: Mike Shinoda
- Concept: Lee Cadena and Mike Shinoda
- Production director: David A. Mitchell
- Imaging Center Manager: Alden Keith Stubblefield
- Xero Scavenger Hunt for "Closing" - Newswire - Linkin Park Live, March 11, 2017
- LEE CADENA | Free Listening on SoundCloud
- The Search for "Closing" by Xero - Page 3 - Newswire - Linkin Park Live - Page 3, March 15, 2017
- Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "...Joe was working with Urban Network, a rap / r&b industry magazine & I was trying out the stage-name "Kenji." cc:@LPLive (2/2) https://t.co/OAUmXNETuX" ., March 10, 2017
- Bilawn Records - Styles Of Beyond, 1998
- Mike Shinoda on Twitter: "Side note, I didn't end up going by "Kenji" because too many people thought I was saying "Ken G." Kenji > Ken G" ., March 10, 2017
- Download: 2 New Xero Tracks "Fiends" and "Drop" - Newswire - Linkin Park Live, March 10, 2017